- Pre-heat the BeefEater 1500 Series BBQ to 220°
- Place the whole chicken on a board, breast-side down, legs facing you. Use poultry shears to
- cut out the backbone.
- Hold the tail with one hand and cut with shears on one side of the backbone, all the way to the neck.
- Go to the other side of the backbone and repeat the cutting process, until the backbone is removed.
- Turn the chicken’s front side to you and cut the collarbone in half.
- Turn the chicken breast side up and press in between breasts firmly with your hand to flatten the chicken.
- When you hear the cracking sound, you’re done.
- Coat liberally with olive oil and season well.
Red Curry Sauce
- Trim the lemongrass and remove the tough outer leaves. Bash up the stalks and roughly chop the lemongrass.
- Add to a food processor, along with the chilli, peeled garlic, lime leaves, coriander, jarred peppers, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Also add some of the oil from the peppers as it helps the mixture blend. Peel the ginger and add.
- Blitz all of the ingredients to a paste.
- While the food processor is running, put a frying pan on a medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil.
- By now the paste should be ready and you can add it to the frying pan.
- Open the tin of coconut milk without shaking it and add the cream solids at the top to the pan.
- Fry all of this together for a few minutes until you can smell the paste starting to cook.
- Add the remaining coconut milk to the pan and give it a good stir to combine it with the rest of the paste. Add the desiccated coconut.
- Place the chicken skin side down on the BeefEater 1500 Series cast iron grill and cook for 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Place a skewer into the flesh and if the juice runs clear, then the chicken is cooked.
- Rest covered for a further 10 minutes before serving.
- whole chicken
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1-2 fresh red chillies
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- Bunch of coriander
- 2 jarred red peppers in oil
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tin coconut milk (400ml)
- 2cm piece of young ginger
- 50g shredded coconut
- 1 lime