- Light BBQ to high with the hood down.
- In a bowl combine all marinating ingredients and season to taste.
- Clean and scale fish and remove excess fins to prevent burning.
- Score fish in 3 incisions along fillet half ways through to spine each side.
- Season fish on all sides with salt and pepper and add marinade to the incisions and centre of the fish along with slices of lemon wedges.
- Place fish into a suitable fish cage or into a baking tray and pour over excess marinade (tray version is fine covered with foil).
- Turn centre BBQ burners off leaving 2 outside burners on only (indirect cooking).
- Place fish in centre of BBQ and close the hood. Cook fish for 25 minutes per kilogram or approximately 50 minutes (BBQ will cook fish best when preheated to 200°C ).
- Fish will be tender to touch. Eyes will be a pearl white when ready.
- Pour juice from tray over the fish just before serving.
Best served as a shared dish in the centre of the table.
- Main dish
- 2kg whole snapper
- ½ tomato, diced
- 3 lemons, 2 zested and 1 cut into wedges
- 50g capers
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of cummin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ onion, diced
- 50ml olive oil
- Salt and pepper
3 cups lightly-packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/3 cup shelled pistachios
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil