- Place the fish, curry paste, egg, fish sauce and sugar in a food processor and blend for around 3 minutes or until the mixture becomes smooth and sticky (this helps the cakes hold together).
- Scoop into a bowl and stir in the lime leaves and snake beans.
- Roll the mixture into 18 even-sized balls.
- Flatten each ball into a disc and place onto the BBQ and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Using a mortar and pestle pound the chillies, garlic and coriander root into a fine paste.
- Add the palm sugar and combine.
- Add the limejuice a little at a time until the ingredients are well incorporated, then add the fish sauce.
- The consistency should be like a wet salsa.
- Taste for a balance of sweet, sour and salty flavors, adjusting if required.
Serve the fish cakes with the red dipping sauce
- Fish cakes
- 700g white fish fillets (such as whiting or John dory), skinned, boned and roughly chopped
- 80g red curry paste
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- ½ cup snake beans (or green beans), finely sliced
- Coconut oil for pan frying the cakes
- Dipping sauce
- 6 long red chilies, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 coriander root, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon shaved palm sugar
- 125 ml lime juice
- 1½ tablespoons fish sauce