- To make each paste place all ingredients except chicken into a food processor (or mortar) and process into a paste.
- Brush paste over chicken.
- Marinate the chicken overnight for a better result, otherwise cook straight away.
- Place the chicken onto the preheated BBQ (medium heat). Close with the hood and cook for 30-40 minutes. Turning twice
- The chicken is cooked when it reaches 75 degrees (check the thickest part of breast or the thighs), or check it by poking a knife tip into the thickest part:
# if cloudy pinkish juice oozes out, it is undercooked
# If clear juice quickly oozes out, it is just about to be ready
# If juices starts to ooze out slowly the chicken is perfectly cooked
# If no juice comes out it is overcooked
Any left-over paste bring to the boil to kill harmful food bacteria.
To do it you place the tray with the juices onto the BBQ and bring to the boil and pour over the chicken just before serving.
- 5 spring whole onions, roots cut off
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- 1 chilli
- 1 tablespoon of pimento seeds
- ½ tablespoon of cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon of pepper corns (black)
- ½ tablespoon of coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 2 bay leafs
- Leafs of 3 sprigs of thyme
- 100ml olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1.5kg chicken pieces